2018 Young Composer Competition
Supported with funding from the Hanson Institute for American Music of the Eastman School of Music
To encourage the composition of chamber music in New York State, the Society for Chamber Music in Rochester and the Hanson Institute for American Music of the Eastman School of Music are sponsoring two competitions for young composers:
- College level competition in even numbered years with an award of $1000 and performance on a Society for Chamber Music in Rochester concert. This competition is open to undergraduate and graduate students at a college or university located in New York State
- High school level competition in odd numbered years with an award of $500 and performance on a Society for Chamber Music in Rochester concert. This competition is open to students enrolled in grades 9 – 12 at a school located in New York State
Guidelines for the 2018 College Level Competition
ELIGIBILITY: Students must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in music at a college or university located in New York State.
INSTRUMENTATION AND LENGTH: Submissions for the 2018 college level competition may be up to 15 minutes in duration for any combination of two to seven instruments drawn from the following list: flute, oboe, clarinet (or bass clarinet), saxophone (soprano, alto or tenor), bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, harp, piano, violins (up to two), viola, cello, (string) bass and percussion with mixed ensembles encouraged.
SUBMISSION: All submissions are to be submitted electronically in PDF format and must include both score and parts. Recordings (synthesized or live) of the composition must accompany the application as MP3 files. Submissions should be sent to SCMRcompetition@gmail.com. Submissions must be received by February 1, 2018. Please include in the submission email the following information:
- Composer name
- College or university affiliation
- Composer postal mailing address
- Composer phone number
- Composer email address. Emails must be sent from the student’s .edu email address.
- Name, address, phone number and email address of student's principal composition or other music teacher.
Composers may submit only one work. SCMR assumes no responsibility for the safety of submitted materials. Submissions that do not comply with the above guidelines will be disqualified, as will scores and parts not meeting reasonable professional standards of notation.
JUDGING: Submissions will be judged for their originality, artistic promise, technical skill and effectiveness in performance. Decisions of the judges will be final. The Society for Chamber Music in Rochester reserves the right to recommend that no award be given. Decisions will be announced during March 2018. The winner is invited to attend at least one rehearsal and the performance of the composition. Submissions should be sent to SCMRcompetition@gmail.com.
Questions or requests for further information should be directed by email to email@example.com.